- Annual cardiological history and physical examination
- Annual 12-lead electrocardiogram (EKG)
- 24h portable Holter monitor if symptoms suggest cardiac arrhythmias or cardiogenic syncope, or if EKG shows cardiac arrythmias or conduction abnormalities
- Pulmonary hypertension and cor pulmonale
- Cardiomyopathy in rare cases
Preventing sudden death is the highest priority in the care of people with DM1. Sudden cardiac deaths in DM1 are mostly attributable to complete cardiac conduction block and ventricular fibrillation/tachycardia caused by cardiomyopathy.
...How should a DM patient be followed from a cardiac standpoint (e.g. EKGs, echos, etc.)?
Note: An example of a serious cardiac problem would include a very rapid or very slow heartbeat, or arrhythmia (irregular heartbeat).